Sunday, March 3, 2013

On March 1. 2013
Frank wrote:

Hi Kent, thanks for the OK on the blog. I agree, it will hardly be read. However, sometimes when I am thinking about something specific, I will read everything if it seems relevant.

Regarding science and human values. Implicit in your response was that something in McGilchrist supports the idea that 'science helps shape our human values.' I've listened to McGilchrist a few times and, thought there is nothing explicit about science vs human values, I could easily see his position as supporting the idea that science has nothing to say about human values. In Einstein's perspective of science as a 'faithful servant' and Pascal's comment that "the end point of rationality is to demonstrate the limits of rationality."

For me the idea of the separation between science and human values comes from Earnest Nagel who writes that the goal of theoretical science requires that inquiry be directed at the relations of dependence among things irrespective of their bearing upon human values.

All best,

No comments: